...is the process by which we create, discover, learn and grow with those we cherish most.

.

eid mubarak! [blessed festival]

Tradition is synonymous with family - and I am always overwhelmed days before one - because I know what's coming. The celebration always leaves me breathless - because we've etched new memories into our family's history. And in the moments or days that follow, I am overwhelmed again - for being blessed with these new memories to look back at year after year. Each new occasion that invites us to celebrate a tradition - we are reminded of that special bond that exists between families...

Eid ul-fitr is one such tradition where Muslim families and their communities come together to mark the end of four weeks of Ramadan and the sighting of a new moon. We pray. We feast. We gather in the company of our elders and are grateful.

I grew up enjoying the festivities of Eid with food, dance and playing with my cousins. We received gifts or money - which was always spent before the week's end. Each year was different from the one before. There were years where I didn't understand its purpose - and drew away. And then there were years where I fasted for 30 days and concentrated only on my faith and direction. By reflecting on all those years past, I cherish how it has accumulated to what it is today.... And I am in awe of the spirit of tradition and how it ties us all together - divinely.

With the blessings of Ava and Noah, I am humbled by the opportunity to continue this tradition as my parents did for us. And honored to create new ones as unique as our own family.

Mosque

We read My First Ramadan, a children's book that beautifully illustrates the simplicity and love within the religious holiday, and stories from the Koran nightly. We drew pictures, ate dates, and became more conscious of the food we consumed. And before we knew it, a new moon was sighted - and Eid was here.

The traditional Afghan dress my father brought back for Ava from his trip to Afghanistan was finally fitted - and a local trip to the international market for accessories and gifts for the kids were completed.


IMG_3415

Noah

We celebrated at my parents house with traditional Afghan food, and of course, "eidies." I wrapped the children's gifts in their artwork and filled tubes of wrapping paper with candies, dancing sticks and bangles [yes, we even got Sophia a set]. The night was memorable - and once again... breathtaking.

Visiting Grandpa

Eid - Gift Giving

Eid - Opening Presents

IMG_3587

Sophia's New Bracelets

This year we have beautiful Sophia, their newest cousin, joining the festivities of our family and faith. Our children may be too small to ebrace the religious scope of the holiday, but they are full of life, love, and gratitude for one another...which to me, are derivatives of Ramadan.

IMG_3473

Ava & Sophia

Holding Hands

Eid Mubarak to all the little ones who are celebrating for the first time... and to everyone else around the world with fond memories of their childhood traditions with family.

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful traditions, and how nice that you can honor them with your children.

    They look so beautiful in their traditional dress. I especially love the photo of your daughter kissing her cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wesley Jeanne. It's a learning process for all of us... each year adding more and more to it. Although I've celebrated for decades - it feels so new with kids of my own. I'm learning more and more about the tradition, and coming up with different ways of celebrating it.

    I want it to be as important - if not more - as Christmas is. We were fortunate in that we celebrated Christmas even though we're not Christians. And that instantly became my favorite holiday as a child because of all the lights.. decorating of the tree... and wrapping presents....curling by a fire, watching marshmallows melt in our hot cocoa and listening to carols on the radio... how can you top that?

    That's where I have to get creative, and think of fun ways to commemorate, decorate, and celebrate... our Eid.

    What holiday traditions do you find yourself personalizing to make it more memorable?

    Who knows, maybe next year I'll get a date tree and decorate it with ornaments of mosques [hee-hee].

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best traditions evolve that way: over time and naturally within a family.

    Thank you for sharing it with us. I know very little about Muslim traditions, so it's nice to learn more.

    We typically celebrate Christian holidays, and I struggle, too, with ways to lake it meaninfgul for my children and not about the stuff. My favorite part of Christmas has to do with a large meal with my Polish in-laws, everyone gathered at the table, "traditional" food being served, breaking bread as a form of communion. A few days before this meal all of my husband's family, young and old, gather to prepare one of the traditional foods: pierogi. I love that, all of us together rolling out dough and filling it. From young to old we all have our role.

    I would bet that as your children grow and you try to find ways to celebrate Eid, they will let you know what is most meaningful to them, and they will grow to love the traditions you have created together.

    Peace.
    WJS

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful Wesley - thank you so much for your last comment! I love the Polish meal prep together as a family - that's a fantastic family tradition on its own. That's exactly how I have imagined it for my kids...

    And like you said, it's striking that balance of listening to the kids and embracing/enhancing those traditions that are meaningful.

    It's just the kick-off that I'm shaky about. I use to dread doing stuff with my parents especially around the holidays. It seems like my Mom never wanted us in the kitchen because we made more of a mess, or slowed her down when she was anticipating 20 people over for dinner.

    The Eid celebrations just always happened around us - as if it was magical. Not realizing all the prep work mental & physical - that was involved.

    Now as a Mom, I'm leaning back on my Mom to help me relearn, relive and carry forth.

    I hope it gets better and we do more things in the years to come.

    Thanks again for sharing - xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing - I will respond to your comment here as well so check back! xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...